Friday, September 20, 2013

1991 Harley FXR leaking rear rocker cover repair tutorial

Prop the tank up.
Remove or loosen ignition if it interferes with rocker box cover.
remove either side of the top engine strut
Remove the entire lower strut (taking off both sides will make it easier when removing the engine mount)
remove front controls if needed. On this FXR the forward controls are aftermarket but I believe stock forward controls do not need to be removed
Slip a small scissor jack (this one is from VW GLI, and would only support how I needed it when upside down) and jack up enough to take the weight off the front engine mount
Once you have it slightly lifted, remove the front engine mount. This allows the engine to drop about 1" between the frame rails. This will give you just enough to get at the rocker cover bolts.
I cut down an allen wrench. With this there is enough room to back the bolt completely out.
Do not throw out the small cut off. you can use that with a small wrench as well. Users preference.
I found this way to be the fastest. once I had initially loosened it with the allen wrench.
This was my problem. a cracked bolt gasket.
This is a good time to inspect the cover. I found a few casting remains along the edge that I gently filed off. Another good practice is to set it on a peice of glass or stone countertop and check if it is warped. This one appeared to rise gently on either (it is warped front to back) side but since it wasn't leaking through those spots to begin with I didn't sand it flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment