Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Shovelhead danger ride!

So the title comes from watching this car flipping show about El Reys Garage in SoCal.  The owner always had the idioms for what he was doing.  When he would take an untested car for a test drive, he would call it the "Danger Ride"!  This was absolutely the Shovel danger ride!!  I tore the clutch down and cleaned everything real well and refaced the friction disks.  Put everything back together and adjusted it.  For the first time I was able start the bike in gear and shift from neutral to first, time to ride!
Chris continues work on the Virago.  He reworked one of the tank mounts because it was crooked as hell from the factory.  Haven was just waiting for the ride!

The bike ran beautifully until the clutch disks flattened out and I needed to readjust.  Got them readjusted but it heated up getting me off the road.

Stopped to readjust again and the inner spring retention ring had melted off and gummed up the clutch disks.  My danger ride was over and we had to trailer it home.  I didn't hang my head because this bike went from backetcase to this and you have to ride it to figure out the issues.  It was a great day and great ride.  I have named this bike Maud because she is one unforgiving bitch.  Next step is an upgraded clutch and belt drive to get rid of the oil bath primary.

No comments:

Post a Comment